Heike von Hörsten, a young women from Somerset West, felt strongly that she wanted to do something to help cancer patients. She decided to cut some of her own exquisite hair in order to help someone else through a painful and emotional time during their treatment.
Helderberg Hospice works in partnership with CANSA, appealing for ponytails in order to make sufficient real hair wigs for cancer survivors. Hair donations such as Heike’s are sent to a wig manufacturer of human hair. The wig making process can take between 8 and 12 weeks, and the wig is then given at no cost to identified, registered patients.
Heike’s sacrifice in the giving up of her lovely long hair is far outweighed by her feelings of pride and joy, in knowing that her precious gift will be going to a child or adult with cancer, to help them feel beautiful again.
· A ponytail donation that is 25 cm or longer.
· Hair should be clean and dry.
· All hair whether dyed or treated is acceptable. Unfortunately dreadlocks cannot be used.
· When cutting the hair, bind both ends with an elastic band and place in a zip-lock bag.
· Post or drop off your hair donation, including your name and contact details, to us:
Helderberg Hospice, 21 Old Stellenbosch Road, Somerset West
One of the Helderberg Hospice charity shops:
- 139A and B Main Road, Somerset West
- Panorama Building, 21 Fagan Street, Strand (opposite Pick ‘n Pay)