24 January 2021
WEBINAR FOR : ACCELERATING ACCESS TO PALLIATIVE CARE DURING COVID-19 AND BEYOND
Presentations were made by :
- Juanita Arendse, Chief Director Emergency & Clinical Services Support for the Western Cape.
- Emmanuel Luyirika, Executive Director of the African Palliative Care Association (APCA).
- Nancy Mini, professional nurse with 35 years’ experience in diverse fields in including midwifery and public health. She has recently completed the University of Cape Town’s Post Graduate Diploma in Palliative Medicine.
- Mark Heywood, a South African human rights and social justice activist and co-founding editor of Maverik Citizen.
- Tersia Burger, CEO of Stepping Stones Hospice in Alberton and a board member of the Hospice Palliative Care Association of SA (HPCA).
- Shivani Ranchod, a healthcare actuary and co-founder and CEO of Percept – a trans-disciplinary consulting firm – and the co-founder of Aligned, a company that offers end-to-end, value-based financing solutions for the optimal management of complex patients.
- Glenda Gray, a physician, scientist and activist and the first female president of the South African Medical Research Council
Visit: here to view the video.
For Juanita Arendse’s presentation, click here
For Emmanuel Luyirika’s presentation, click here
For Tersia Burger’s presentation, click here
26 January 2021
WEBINAR FOR :
INTEGRATING PALLIATIVE CARE INTO SOCIAL WORK TRAINING
Dr Thobeka Nkomo, the former Head of Wits’ School of Social Work hosted Dr Nelia Drenth, a social worker in private practice with deep expertise in supporting grief and loss.
Dr Drenth, who is also a part-time lecturer at North-West University, made a compelling case for why palliative care should be integrated into undergraduate and postgraduate Social Work curricula and shared her experience supporting patients and families who have been impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Dr Drenth’s presentation is available by clicking here.